Since Phase 2 started, many of our favourite restaurants and eateries have reopened, but there’s one that we’re still patiently waiting on: IKEA.
While the Swedish furniture megastore has opened up its departments along with its bistro and food market, its restaurants remain closed until 29 June as added steps are being taken to ensure the well-being of customers and workers.
ICYMI, back in April the Swedish company introduced its DIY concept into its food as well. Aside from assembling your own furniture, you can now put together the brand’s signature meatballs right in your own home.
“We know that some people might be missing our meatballs, which is why we’ve released an at-home alternative which, using easily accessible ingredients, will help those looking for some inspiration in the kitchen,” said Lorena Lourido, country food manager at IKEA UK & Ireland in a news release.
The recipe was released in the classic IKEA-style diagrams, but we know that those drive some of you up the wall, so we’ve converted them into simple, step-by-step directions!
- 500g ground beef
- 250g ground pork
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed or minced
- 100g of bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tbsp whole milk
- Generous amounts of salt and pepper
Ingredients (Cream sauce)
- Dash of olive oil
- 40g butter
- 40g plain flour
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 150ml beef stock
- 150ml thick double cream/heavy cream
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Combine ground beef and ground pork in a bowl and break it up with your fingers to get rid of lumps
- Add chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix together.
- Add milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Roll mixture into small meatballs. Place on a clean plate, cover and refrigerate for two hours.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add meatballs and brown on all sides.
- Heat oven to 180 C. Add browned meatballs to an ovenproof dish, cover and cook in the oven for 30 minutes.
Directions (Cream sauce)
- Melt 40g of butter in a pan.
- Whisk in 40g of flour and stir for two minutes.
- Add 150ml of vegetable stock and 150ml of beef stock, stirring continuously.
- Add 150ml of double cream, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce and 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard. Simmer until the sauce thickens. Drizzle over meatballs and enjoy.
And there you have it, your very own IKEA meatballs at home!
- If you find it too much of a hassle and you’d rather wait for the restaurants to reopen (which they will in just three days’ time), here are some things to take note of:
- IKEA's breakfast menu will only be served at IKEA Alexandra from 9am to 11am.
- The restaurants will not operate its soft drinks and coffee machines/dispensers temporarily and only bottled, canned and packet beverages will be available. Unfortunately, this means that IKEA FAMILY members will not be able to enjoy the member benefits of free coffee and tea during this time.
- The restaurants will not operate the condiment station temporarily. Chilli and ketchup packets will be given upon request.
- The restaurants will not be offering IKEA FAMILY food promotions temporarily.
There are also some changes to their opening hours:
- IKEA Alexandra – 9am-9pm with last order at 8.30pm (Sun-Thu) & 9am-10.30pm with last order at 10pm (Fri-Sat)
- IKEA Tampines – 10am-9pm with last order at 8.30pm (Sun-Thu) & 10am-10.30pm with last order at 10pm (Fri-Sat)
For further information such as menu items, you can refer to their website here.